News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:47 pm 

I received what is only the 2nd parking ticket in many years of driving last week whilst parked outside my Mothers house in Granville Road, Hillingdon.

Granville Road operates a resident permit system, for reasons best known to the council, and parking areas are marked out on the roadway. I was parked in one of the marked areas. My Mother is severely disabled so doesn't own a car or drive, and therefore has no need for a resident parking permit. However she does have a Blue Badge ( for use when I or anyone else takes her out in a car ) and has also been issued with a special permit for use by the Carers who regularly visit her.

I could have used either of those options I suppose, but chose instead to use the ludicrous 'scratch card' permit system she is also entitled to ( at a cost ), for visitors.

I duly scratched the correct details and placed the card on my dashboard in a clearly visible position. I happened to be looking out of the l window when the low-life parking attendant was attaching the Parking Notice to my windscreen, and rushed out to question his action.

My so called 'offence/infringement' was that I had genuinely forgotten to write my vehicle registration number in the tiny box which is provided on the miniscule scratch card. A simple and genuine error which may well cost me £30-£60. I have of course appealed the decision and provided photographic evidence to back up my appeal.

What I find so annoying is the complete lack of common sense and/or discretion allowed. I had been staying at my Mums following the recent death of my Father and all the trauma that involves. The parking attendant wasn't in the slightest bit interested in the fact my attention may have been diverted by more pressing issues.

I have since discovered that my Mothers official Carer also received a PCN in the exact same parking bay just recently. Her 'offence/infringement' ?? In the approximately 1 minute it took to park her car right outside the house and walk the 15 feet to the front door to collect the Carers parking permit to place on the dashboard, a low-life appeared and slapped a PCN on her windscreen. Her appeal was successful ( quite rightly ). I trust my appeal will be as well, but in the meantime its just one more totally unneccessary hassle to try and deal with at the worst of times.

This parking permit thing has nothing to do with traffic management, its a thinly diguised money raiser pure and simple.

Moley :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 am 

Totally agree, these muppets are probably under rules but if I was a warden I would give a certain amount of consideration.

These wardens/little Hitlers must be hell to live with

Some of the blame goes straight on Hillingdon Council though. I wonder if they give 'advice' to these Hitlers via the third party company when tickets are successfully appealed ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 am 

Tax collectors nothing more, they should be fined for every successful appeal. 8-) ;) the hallmark of the average Brit we always have time to do it twice, but never enough time to do it once, properly ;) :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 am 

Your horrific story Moley is EXACTLY why so many are SO OPPOSED to CPZs. They're nasty, inflexible tyrannies to live under. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Don't pay that ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 am 

^^ Rest assured Jon, I have no intention whatever of paying the 'fine/tax'. I was parked legally in a legal space. I am confident my appeal will be successfull, its just the additional hassle you have to go through to prove your innocence that grinds my gears. Apparently this process can take up to a month.

The cost of this to the council ( and thereby the council tax payer ), and myself in wasted time, does not bear thinking about. All because some muppet could not exercise a modicum of common sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:53 am 

Why all this persecution of the poor traffic warden? he is only trying to blag a living? and the poor old cash starved Council raising a bit of extra cash to hold on to the world class administration it enjoys, it is those inconsiderate motorists who think they have a right to go out onto the highways and byways of the country, just because they pay a purchase tax, Vat on that tax, fuel duty and vat on that also, road tax, insurance plus vat, and refuse to be priced off the roads they have paid for many times over, abuse of the system is a well known and established fact, phony PCN's are a fact of life, just one of the many traps to catch out the odd tax evader. we voted for a police state, and uniformed vigilantes no use complaining, the ballot box is your salvation, at the moment its one set of crooks, or another set of crooks, but that cant last forever, sooner or later folk will catch on there has to be another way. ;) ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:23 pm 

I must have got it wrong , while its bad to park in a disabled bay , if you are not
i used to take my wife to Hillingdon , Mount Vernon , and Northwick park , for cancer treatment , i had a blue badge etc
so i pulled up at the doors , took her in , sat her down , then parked in the pay and display etc and paid
as i am not disabled , I did not feel i could take a space up , that someone on there own with a blue badge could use .
After treatment etc ,sat her down by the doors, i pulled up outside , got her in the car .
as time went on i used a wheel chair , and did the same thing .
Same with supermarkets and shops , i allways moved the car to a car park , or at least into a side road , so as not to hold traffic up

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21 pm 

Saw a guy sitting in his car waiting outside Sainsbury in a disabled bay, another guy driving round and round looking for a parking spot, a woman with a stick came out of the shop he helped he to his car and drove away so why take up a spot when waiting? just because he had her badge, many times seen fit people using bays when fit using somebody else's badge, Sainsbury for one don't check it out, if There are no spaces when I shop I drive off and shop elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:54 pm 

I never realised until I started using disabled bays just how many able bodied people use them because they are conveniently near the shop doors. I can't walk far at the moment and am using crutches so really don't need a mile hike to get inside a shop.

I did see somebody parked up in a disabled bay outside Hobbycraft in Greenford. She was on her phone creating because she'd been clamped - it was good to see (although the disabled bay was unable to be used by a Blue Badge holder until she had her clamp removed)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:21 am 

john wrote:
I must have got it wrong , while its bad to park in a disabled bay , if you are not
i used to take my wife to Hillingdon , Mount Vernon , and Northwick park , for cancer treatment , i had a blue badge etc
so i pulled up at the doors , took her in , sat her down , then parked in the pay and display etc and paid
as i am not disabled , I did not feel i could take a space up , that someone on there own with a blue badge could use .
After treatment etc ,sat her down by the doors, i pulled up outside , got her in the car .
as time went on i used a wheel chair , and did the same thing .
Same with supermarkets and shops , i allways moved the car to a car park , or at least into a side road , so as not to hold traffic up

Although entitled to a Blue Badge I do not own one as Ann and I have always dropped disabled relatives at the door then parked in the usual bays and walked back to the doors.
At present I can only walk 20 or so metres then have to sit down and wait for a wheelchair.
Makes my hackles rise when certain relatives use my brothers blue badge although he is not in the vehicle or simply chance it and take up a bay that some genuinely disabled person needs. Maybe a 100 hours of community service helping disabled persons go shopping, providing vehicle and gas too, might be an idea ?

We don't clamp vehicles over here but would love to see it introduced for this particular offence; only caveat, the un-clamper must be IMMEDIATELY available in case of mistakes.