News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: The Vine
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:27 pm 

My Wife suggested we ate out last Wednesday evening and as she had recently enjoyed a works xmas meal at the Vine decided we should go there.

Starter was great, as was my Wifes main, I ordered a Rump steak, medium rare. when it arrived a good vet would have had it up and kicking within minutes it was that rare. I do like my steak rare and can eat it blue as long as it's tender. This cut however was full of gristle, I had trouble cutting into it and gave up. When the waitress came over to see if we had finished I told her I was not happy with the meal. She said she would pass this on to the Chef. I expected the chef to come and see us, nothing. Sweet arrived a short while later but both dishes were not what was ordered and sent back. After another 10 minute wait our sweets arrived.
My Wife was happy with her meal and for the price so was I, though as a result of A) poor service and B) the undercooked gristly steak we shall not be returning.

One redeaming factor was "Marlow Brewary" on tap...but I was driving.. :evil:

Rate it....5/10. Poor service.
5/10 Bad Cut of Rump and undercooked.
9/10 Marlow Brewary...but not enough to make me want to go back. ;)

ps: Thanks Jon. :)

Post subject: Re: The Vine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:20 am 

That's a shame. Someone said to me only recently that The Vine was a cut above the average local pub, so I was hoping you were going to say it was a good place to go for a meal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm 

We popped in there, after exploring the Celodine path, we had the sharing platter it was okay.

The football was on so a little rowdy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 am 

If this is the Vine at the top of Hillingdon Hill ...........................

Many years ago when I was driving buses one of the Hanwell crews of a 207 got turned at Hillingdon Hill. They had a few minutes to spare so they popped into the Vine for a swift half.
The landlady called the Police and the crew were 'advised' by the Police.

Once this got round another crew visited the pub a few days later and did the same. She again called the Police and she was made to look a fool in front of all the customers as this crew had finished duty and there was not a bus in sight.

Timing was critical as the driver had to remove his badge and the conductor his badge and ticket machine harness at just the right time before they arrived but after she had made the call.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:12 am 

http://www.inapub.co.uk/pubs/vine-inn/uxbridge/UB100JQ/12509.aspx

This is the one we walked to