News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 183  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:51 am 

^^ Thanks for reporting that Jon. That must have been extremely isolated, I have been following reports and radar on and off for most of the afternoon and evening and most of the snow showers have been confined to the far South East. Thames estuary and Eastern Kent mainly, though the occasional flurry has made it further inland.

There is still a lot of uncertainty regarding possible snowfall in the next few days, though it looks like remaining cold until at least Friday in our region.

Its always good to have these reports, so thanks again for posting it. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 am 

Not as cold as I was expecting this morning :)

Still 0°C to 1°C but no detectable frost.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:30 pm 

Chief Climatologist of Canada, Civil Servant, `Admits we blew it '.

Government weather office warned of a severe winter with extremely cold periods due to an ` El Nino ' effect.

So far we have the winter that wasn't with near record warm weather.

If this huge government department can not predict 3 months ahead what credibility do the ` global warming ' fanatics have ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 pm 

Moley gets it right more often than these 'experts'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:20 pm 

Kremmen wrote:
Not as cold as I was expecting this morning :)

Still 0°C to 1°C but no detectable frost.

Quite unusual conditions overnight to be honest Kremm. Although the Temperature fell to -1.2c at Northolt, cold enough for a frost, the air was incredibly dry despite a thin layer of cloud cover. Hence no visible frost. I expect temperatures to fall lower tonight given the clear blue skies we have enjoyed all day in our area, and the air is even drier now.

Forecasting/predicting the next few days is proving nigh on impossible for the experts, despite all the resources they have, let alone an amateur like me.

My personal thoughts though ? Look out for snow showers developing across the North Sea in the next couple of days, and progressing further inland by Friday and into Saturday. There are hints of more widespread snow for London and the South East during this time, but its not something I want to call based on current information.

Cop out ? Not really, I just don't want to raise any hopes or fears based on pure speculation at this time. Easterlies are notoriously fickle at any time of year, even more so towards the end of winter. I will hopefully be updating regularly as and when the situation changes.

Thanks for posting and reading. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 am 

Minus 2.2 this morning

Still quite dry on the roads though so no choreography required :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:45 pm 

^^ -4.1c was the minimum at Raf Northolt this morning, still no VISIBLE frost due to the incredibly dry air. Dew Points in our region are currently -12c. For the first time since I bought it just over 2 years ago my weather station has given up the ghost on me :(

The situation has changed a fair bit in the last few hours and there is now quite widespread agreement that London and the South East will see an increasing risk of snow as we head into the weekend. The milder air to the west is pushing eastwards, while the frigid air mass over us now is very reluctant to shift. This would lead to the classic 'battleground scenario I mentioned a few posts back, and we are situated slap bang in the battlefiled.

The chance of snow showers off the North Sea ( and possibly the English Channel ) penetrating further inland during Friday still holds true, but all eyes are now on Saturday afternoon/evening and into Sunday. If everything falls into place we could be looking at a 50-90% chance of snow during that time. Much depends on how much progress the milder air is able to make, and the possibility of it 'stalling' at some point.

I think the percentage chances are about right, and very few of us in London and The South East will get through the weekend snow free in my opinion. Snow depths of between 5-15 cms (2-6 inches ) are my prediction at this stage. If you have any plans that involve travel this weekend I would advise you to pay attention to the forecasts for your area. I will be trying to keep this thread updated in the meantime.

Thanks for reading and posting. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 pm 

Moley wrote:
.......... For the first time since I bought it just over 2 years ago my weather station has given up the ghost on me :( ...................

Yes......I did check the obvious, and replaced the batteries but still no joy until a couple of hours later when suddenly voila, it sprang to life again. Don't ask me how or why but perhaps it had something to do with atmospherics ? The indoor display was working the whole time, it just wasn't receiving signals from the outdoor ( wireless ) weather station. Anyway all is well now and I can confirm it is currently -1.2c in Northwood, a light breeze from the north east giving a wind chill reading of -4.9c, Relative Humidity is 57% and the dew point is -8.5c. Hows that for up to the minute local conditions !!

Some of the weather websites I visit ( and occasionaly post on ) are starting to go into meltdown regarding this weekends prospects, and even the official Met Office website has encountered major problems this afternoon, presumably due to a significant increase in traffic ?

There are now some suggestions that if the approaching fronts from the west stall, areas beneath it could be in for up to 24-30 hours of near continuous snowfall :o . It has to remembered though that if the milder air does manage to break through, this could just as easily fall as rain. I'm glad I dont have to rely on making forecasts for a living.

Please post your thoughts, predictions and observations during what looks like being an interesting period of weather.

Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 am 

It's very cold out there...... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 am 

Jon wrote:
It's very cold out there...... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My wife and one of the boys just arrived there. He didn't describe it as "very"
:lol:

(They are in Somerset for a couple of days and then off to sunny Scotland)
:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 183  Next