News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 183  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
Yay :) Thanks Moley !!! I have to say I don't like this horrible mild wet weather ......

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
According to some of the sources I research, London and The South East may be seeing snow as early as Saturday/Sunday.

Still a long way off in meteorological terms, especially when the upper atmosphere is in such a volatile state, but I just thought I would mention it.

My dash to the South Coast in search of employment and accomodation on Friday may be just in time !

Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
Thanks Moley ..... I'll dig my winter bloomers out ready ;)
Good luck with the house and job hunting xxx

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
jane wrote:
Thanks Moley ..... I'll dig my winter bloomers out ready ;)
Good luck with the house and job hunting xxx


Ooooer missus !! Not a case of house hunting Im afraid.....a bedsit or studio flat rental at best, but thanks for the wishes x.

As for the weather prospects, it seems almost certain now that something wintry is heading our way, for the eastern half of the UK at least. The link below is a forecast tonight by Ian Fergusson. This chap is a highly respected Met Office forecaster who frequently posts on one of the weather forums Im a member of, and its a shame his forecasts for the BBC are restricted to the South West. For that reason alone this link is a forecast for the SW, but listen to what he says towards the end of the forecast, from around 1 minute 40 seconds. Some interesting information there regarding the statistics and the computer models the Met Office use.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/n ... 760862.stm

There are also increasing signs that what may initially start out as a 'cold snap' ( 4-5 days ) may turn into a 'cold spell' lasting considerably longer. Winter may just be starting.....watch this space.

Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Thanks

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Good luck with the hunting Moley!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
^^ Thanks Pam.

The Met Office and BBC are slowly coming on board regarding the weather prospects from this weekend onwards, though in fairness I can understand their reluctance so far. Alex Deakin, in this evenings forecast even mentions the SSW ( Sudden Stratospheric Warming ) I referred to a few posts back.

As things stand at the moment there is still a fair bit of uncertainty precipitation wise but it will be getting colder, of that there is very little doubt.

SATURDAY sees an area of Low Pressure crossing the southern half of the UK and my thoughts are that initially this will deliver a spell of rain to much of London and The South East, before much colder air spills down turning the rain to snow later in the day and perhaps overnight. I have seen a lot of figures being bandied about for possible snow depths over the weekend ( and beyond ). To be honest its almost impossible to call BUT, purely for fun I will hazard a wild guestimate for London and The South East:

2-5 cms ( 1-2" ) for low lying areas, but as much as 10-15cms ( 4-6" ) on higher ground. Ie: The Chilterns, North and South Downs. This from any snowfall we MAY see this weekend. Later into next week I think there is the potential for further snowfall, and with temperatures struggling to get above freezing for many areas there is a CHANCE of some significant accumulations by the end of next week.

I would like to stress at this point, I am not a meteorologist, just a keen amateur so I would STRONGLY advise you to keep a close eye and ear to tv and radio station forecasts, and of course the Met Office.

Thanks for reading. Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
Moley wrote:
I would like to stress at this point, I am not a meteorologist, just a keen amateur so I would STRONGLY advise you to keep a close eye and ear to tv and radio station forecasts, and of course the Met Office.

Thanks for reading. Moley 8-)



No Moley. I am happy to rely on you and make all my plans from your forecast, with the certainty that I know some good lawyers if you get it wrong ;) :D

(I actually hope you are wrong as the commute to London is hell during snow!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
At least Moley doesnt pretend to know it all and then get it wrong, but still get mega bucks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
SOT wrote:
Moley wrote:
I would like to stress at this point, I am not a meteorologist, just a keen amateur so I would STRONGLY advise you to keep a close eye and ear to tv and radio station forecasts, and of course the Met Office.

Thanks for reading. Moley 8-)



No Moley. I am happy to rely on you and make all my plans from your forecast, with the certainty that I know some good lawyers if you get it wrong ;) :D

(I actually hope you are wrong as the commute to London is hell during snow!)


:lol: I may just need the names of those lawyers in the next few days SOT !!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 183  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke