|
Has anyone had to phone 999 for an ambulance lately?
I had to call an ambulance for my wife at lunchtime. She had a major operation 5 days ago, and today (now at home), she suffered severe pains indicating potentially serious complications. She phoned the ward she had been discharged from and they said phone A&E. I phoned A&E who said bring her in. However, my wife was now bent double in pain and wailing in agony like an animal. There was no way I could take her in my car as the onset of pain was very rapid and was seemingly out of control. I had no option to dial 999.
I was put through very quickly to a lovely lady who asked a series of questions which she in-putted into her PC. Sadly my wife was breathing, was conscious and wasn't bleeding. So the 'computer said no' despite the LAS operator clearly hearing my wife in pain. The 999 operator apologised and said she would pass our details to NHS Direct and someone from there would phone to make a further assessment. I expressed my disgust as I have had previous experience and know that NHS Direct can take hours to phone back. The 999 lady advised I redial 999 if the NHS people hadn't called me within 15 minutes.
To cut a long and repetitious story short, I had to dial 999 on three occasions pleading with a LAS supervisor that serious damage could be happening to my post op wife who was in serious pain. On hearing my pitiful pleading and my wife's even more pitiful screams of pain, the supervisor relented & said an ambulance would be sent. One eventually arrived within minutes, but over one hour from the initial request for help.
The paramedics, A&E staff and even the LAS operators were all fantastic, but my God, how the hell have we got to a stage where a computer makes clinical decisions based on information in-putted by non medical staff? I know lots of people take the mickey re ambulance requests, but LAS management's response to the 'time wasters' problem seems to involve removing all human intervention when dealing with 999 calls. It's a bloody disgrace!
|