worst one I remember was 48 when roads were closed apart from the main ones, even they had Ice bumps in them, Horses pulling carts could not go out as it was so slippery, all building work had ground to a halt, my dad at the time was in Sand and Ballast haulage of coarse with no building work going on there was no work in that line, so he hired out his lorries to Hinchclff coal merchants and we were out delivering coal to priority customers around Paddington, never been so well off in my life 16 going on 17 with my half share of tips and fiddle was getting £2 or £3 a trip and 2 sometimes 3 loads a day was a very rich lad, plus I was going through a purple patch that nights at the White City dog track finding winners was so easy and my funds just grew and grew, but like all things it did not last, although I bought my first motorbike, the Summer was one of the hottest I had known, the year the Olympic games at Wembley were on, and all my good fortune on the cash front dried up, it was the outstanding year of my single life.
