News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
jane wrote:
I agree John - at 19 degrees I wouldn't even know the heating was on :( I turn mine on morning and evening but its set at 24/25 degrees ....


:o Mines set to 21 and find that quite OK

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
The only energy crisis in my home is, she don't feel up to doing the garden, or will do it after the housework, or when I get back from shopping, cleaning the car, or the laundry, when she was younger did all this, and bring up two kids, my how times change! a squirt of easystart in the cold weather does the trick so no real probs at the moment ;) :o

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I hope that's after she's cooked your breakfast and washed the plates ?

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 329
Kremmen wrote:
jane wrote:
I agree John - at 19 degrees I wouldn't even know the heating was on :( I turn mine on morning and evening but its set at 24/25 degrees ....


:o Mines set to 21 and find that quite OK




Mine is set at 19 at night, 20 in the day time. That even with the wind and snow blowing. However, the walls and doors are well insulated. :roll:

_________________
Posts often deleted................Why? I don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Some good points raised by Westonman about room temperatures there, and it doesn't only relate to the elderly.

For the last month Iv'e had to have my heating on far higher than I would like or can realistically afford owing to health isssues. I live in a ground floor flat, and my upstairs neighbour has personally thanked me for the fact I have heated her flat at no cost to herself as the heat I am paying for has seeped upwards.

:(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Probably the best tip I can give elderly people worried about escalating energy bills is to wrap themselves in an electric blanket.
They could turn the heating down or off on warmer days and the electricity used by the blanket should be no more than about £2.00 per day.

We all know the real issues is high energy prices but all the while the market is structured as it is these will not be decreasing any time soon.

A lot or posters heaped praise on Maggie Thatcher in the other thread but conveniently forget it was her Government which privatised the energy utilities. Cartels and rising prices are what you get in a free market.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 329
Moley wrote:
Some good points raised by Westonman about room temperatures there, and it doesn't only relate to the elderly.

For the last month Iv'e had to have my heating on far higher than I would like or can realistically afford owing to health isssues. I live in a ground floor flat, and my upstairs neighbour has personally thanked me for the fact I have heated her flat at no cost to herself as the heat I am paying for has seeped upwards.

:(


Having the heat high can create illness, one it drys the air to much. It's better to have the tempiture in the mid to low 20's and dress warm.

_________________
Posts often deleted................Why? I don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Posts: 288
its only unhealthy , if you dont have any windows open

I leave early in the morning ,and my house is the only one with the bedroom windows open
its no wonder people catch colds etc from each other


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Posts: 288
just checked my meters , happy days , still £90 in credit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Batty bat wrote:
Moley wrote:
Some good points raised by Westonman about room temperatures there, and it doesn't only relate to the elderly.

For the last month Iv'e had to have my heating on far higher than I would like or can realistically afford owing to health isssues. I live in a ground floor flat, and my upstairs neighbour has personally thanked me for the fact I have heated her flat at no cost to herself as the heat I am paying for has seeped upwards.

:(


Having the heat high can create illness, one it drys the air to much. It's better to have the tempiture in the mid to low 20's and dress warm.


Pre 1970's we never had central heating and everyone got on ok back then.

Sure it was a real pain to light the fire every day but because of it families would congregate in the one warm room in the house instead of retreating to their own centrally heated rooms to play gaming consoles or watch (another TV).

Did old people die of the cold back then? I suppose some did but coal was a cheap energy source although of course it had some drawbacks.

One day possibly quite soon it will again become a significant energy resource as looming crisis forces us to re-open the vast reserves under our feet.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke